Friday, June 15, 2007

Was it really last February?

Seems like longer than that I last blogged.

Anyway, just been on a great holiday to Corfu, the greenest island of Greece, people really lovely, scenery awesome, land - sea and air.

But I'm back now, and I thought I'd let you know something that I'm up to. I have been on something called the Anthony Nolan register for about 15+ years. You might remember that Anthony Nolan was quite a high profile young lad who died of Leukimia about 20 years or so ago. In his honour, this register was set up to increase the likelihood that people suffering from similar diseases in future might find a bone marrow match.

Well, after all this time, I am now a match for someone (don't know who, you're not allowed to find out).

It used to be called bone marrow donation, but its a bit different now. You have to have 4 sets of injections on 4 consecutive days to make your body produce stem cells, they make you feel really achy and as if you've got flu - had my first one yesterday, apparently it gets worse and worse as the days go by (poor me lol). Then on Sunday, I have to go to London to have my last injection and then on Monday, they will put me on this machine that takes blood out of one arm, circulates it through a machine which filters out the stem cells and then goes back into my other arm. This takes about five hours and hopefully it'll be enough, if not, I'll have to do it again on Tuesday, but I really hope not.

It's a bit more real for me at the moment because a friend of mine just died of Leukimia - in fact, its his funeral on Monday - the day I will be donating - God's poetry I think, but I am sad I'll miss it.

If anyone is interested in signing up by the way, you can find out how at www.anthonynolan.org.uk/

They are particularly interested at the moment on men aged 18-45ish as they are likely to get more time out of them, but anyone is welcome (actually, there may be an upper age limit of 55). (The reason they prefer men is because they are unlikely to be pregnant in that time frame ;) )

Well, thought I'd dip my toe back into the virtual pond, hope everyone is well,

Evo
x

27 Comments:

Blogger Mark T said...

Well done Evo, hope it all goes well...good to see you back in the land of the bloggers!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Well done. Will be thinking of you. Hopefully memories of your recent holiday will help to sustain you. We had a lovely holiday in the north of Corfu one year. I think it's a bit quieter than the south.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Just realised, this is such a good excuse for why you won't be blogging for a while, again. ;-)

2:00 PM  
Blogger phil said...

good luck hope all went well, very good thing youve done. all hostilities suspended at this time..........sorry to hear about your friend.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Hope it went well.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

Thanks everyone, back safe and sound - all went swimmingly. Apparently twice as much stuff was collected as was necessary.

All I know about the recipient is that it was an adult male (a man that is). And also, we know that a courier came from Germany to take them so probably German. He would have received the cells probably later on Sunday night whilst Mrs Evo and I were watching Les Miserables.

7:22 PM  
Blogger phil said...

A GERMAN!!! Your grandma taylor would be turning in her grave now if she hadnt been cremated. no wonder they didnt tell you who it was beforehand!!!!!!!she would have been haunting you telling you not to do it, she had to work at atkins tin works cos of them germans.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

Ah, the sweet smell of business as usual lol.

And before Rover says it, it might have been a Scot!

Actually, one of the most moving stories I've ever read was I think a Palestinian woman who did something similar for a Jew - or the other way around. The good Samaritan - the eternal best seller.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Mark T said...

Ya Voll Her Evo! :-D

So, was the procedure very painful? Aren't you really curious about the person who received it, and if he is doing well? I would really want to know

12:48 PM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

I think that is probably, "Ja, Wohl Herr Evo" lol

It was not painful at all I don't think. The drugs made you a bit achy in the bones but it didnt stop me going for my daily runs - though I suppose I am a bit of a nutter in this regard.

Worst thing was having to lay there for four hours without being able to move your arms but Wendy did a cracking job of scratching my nose for me.

I have asked to find out how it went and I am curious. They are quick to point out that it might be bad news so you might not want to know, but I do all the same. I think they get a report after six weeks, six months and a year. After two years, if all has gone well, there is a chance you might be able to meet them - if they want to.

Back in the thick of work now though.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

It's certainly something you can be proud to have done, Evo. My (German) cousin's daughter had leukemia and it was touch and go for years, but I think she's cured now.

Glad to see you know how to spell the German correctly - and Phil, I'd like to know what's wrong with Germans? I've known some very nice Germans although I think my grandparents have a lot to answer for, but then they had it pretty hard themselves.

4:30 PM  
Blogger phil said...

karin,i have nothing at all against germans. this was just an injoke for family members on here, my mother (evos grandmother) lived during the second world war and like many of her generation never forgave them for bombing us(i know we bombed them too)so this was just a little joke about the irony of this and the reaction it would have caused from his grandmother.AND BELIEVE ME IT WOULD HAVE GOT A REACTION LOL. no offence was meant.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Mark T said...

I never did German at school! :-)
It did cross my mind who might be looking after business in your absence though...

10:54 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

You're right, Phil, 'we' did bomb 'them', too. My dad's parents were bombed out and large parts of Hamburg were flattened. Dad lost most of his things as a result. His family were also half starved. Hitler and his supporters didn't do either side any good.

9:29 AM  
Blogger phil said...

war never does any "ordinary person" on either side any good. maybe the politicians and national leaders should get out onto a field and fight it out between themselves.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Good point, Phil.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Mark T said...

Happy Birthday, Evo :-)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Oh so you are still alive then: you haven't been swept away by the floods and no one's noticed. - It obviously wasn't you down the drain 'cause I don't think you've been 28 for a while.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

No, that wasnt me - but how sad!

I'm the sum of two distinct non unit squares, - its exciting, never been that before and won't be again for another 28 yrs!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Mark T said...

You really should get out more, Evo :-)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

I take it you haven't looked at your wall lately then, Evo.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Ahem! That would be your facebook wall where two birthday greetings were written.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

Thanks Karin, I had a lovely birthday actually, went for lunch with Mrs Evo (at lunchtime lol) and she surprised me with a trip to Hull New theatre to see Starlight Express on the evening which was a nice change. (Please note, Evo is not becoming a regular at the musical theatre but it is a nice change)

I can't seem to get the hang of facebook - though I am always amazed when people add me who I haven't spoken to for years.

11:36 AM  
Blogger phil said...

thanks for the curry the other friday, was a nice night...........dont leave it too long to come to us for the return.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

I'm glad you had a good birthday Evo. Colin also wished you a happy birthday. Logging into facebook doesn't seem too complicated, but perhaps you just don't have the time for it.

Hope you are keeping well,

K

9:30 PM  
Blogger hephzibah said...

Well done and thankyou to another life_saver :)
your six weeks must be nearly up if you wanted to ask...??

9:20 PM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

Thanks Hep, they did warn me that quite often you dont get to hear back at the 6 weeks stage but I was thinking this myself yesterday actually.

I will of course post up any news on here.

Whoever he is, God Bless and aid his recovery.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home