Sunday, July 23, 2006

What a great song

Do you know, I can't think what has reminded me of this, but I have only recently remembered how much I like this clever little song:

- Well, I've seen a horsefly. - Ah, I've seen a dragonfly.
- Hee-hee. I've seen a housefly. - Yeah!
See, I've seen all that too.
I've seen a peanut stand and heard a rubber band.
I seen a needle that winked its eye.
But I be done seen about ever'thing
When I see a elephant fly
- What'd you say, boy? - I said when I see a elephant fly
I seen a front porch swing heard a diamond ring
I seen a polka-dot railroad tie
But I be done seen 'bout ever'thing
When I see a elephant fly
- Da da-da-da - Da-da-da do-do-dow wow
- Da da-da-da - Hey, wow
I saw a clotheshorse He rear up and buck
And they tell me that a man made a vegetable truck
I didn't see that I only heard
Just to be sociable I'll take your word
- I heard a fireside chat - I saw a baseball bat
And I just laughed till I thought I'd die
But I be done seen 'bout ever'thing
When I see a elephant fly
Bo Sho Ba-da-do-do
But I be done seen 'bout ever'thing
When I see a elephant fly
With the wind.
When I see a elephant
Fly

7 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

From Dumbo, isn't it? I've got it on a record I had as a kid, but I don't think it's the original soundtrack.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

I just realised my kids haven't seen this film either - I may rent the dvd shortly.

(for the younger reader, Karin just mentioned records. Records where what we had instead of DCCs or CDs in the olden days lol)

I just got a record player for my birthday and am enjoying it immensely.

For the older reader, would you believe I had a car full of teens last week and played them "A boy named Sue" They thought it was a silly title for a song and I happened to mention that John Wayne's real name was Marilyn. You've probably guessed it, they had no idea who John Wayne was!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

You may have noticed I've mentioned this elsewhere, but anyway, our son, a cool 17-year-old, was greatly impressed with 'Walk the Line' and not only bought the dvd, but a Johnny Cash CD and autobiography. He appreciates the humour in A Boy Named Sue, too. Mind you he has a very ecclectic taste in music, although like mine, it doesn't stretch too far into the area of classical music.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

Yes, you did come to me afterwards and say, "I knew he was something to do with cowboys" I'll grant you ;)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

I used to love a good Western, but John Wayne was sooo boring. I wouldn't watch anything he was in by choice.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Mark T said...

Johnny Cash was a legend. Somehow I dont think kids today will look back with the same joy on McFly

Roy Orbison was a legend too, always overlooked until after his death IMHO

8:16 PM  
Blogger phil said...

music should be banned

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home