Sunday, June 11, 2006

Oops, didn't stay positive long

This has been bugging me a lot the last couple of days.

Now I'm not saying whether I am for or against the death penalty - I bet you can guess - but I am a bit confused at the moment.

Although the majority of people in this country of ours are in favour of the death penalty, our duly elected representatives do not feel it would be right to reflect this on our constitution - and I am probably in favour of that kind of government I might add (regardless of whether I agree in this case).

However, why is it that since this terrorist, Mr Zacarwy or however his name is spelled has been assasinated, we are being inundated with politicians gleefully celebrating his demise. This morning I heard Malcolm Rifkind saying that no-one can deny that it is a good thing that this evil man has been "dispatched". If this is the case, why is it not a good thing to dispatch similarly evil men?

What are your thoughts?

5 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

I blogged on this matter a few days ago http://living-faith.blogspot.com/2006/06/what-will-death-of-terrorist-leader.html

1:49 PM  
Blogger phil said...

personally i am in favour of the death penalty, in this day and age, DNA and medical science as it is, we should be able to make sure we have the right person for the crime before we execute them, but that isnt the question here. i think the reason the politicians are happy to see this man dead is because they did not have to make the decision to do it, they are happy to applaud the deed as long as it isnt on thier conscience. i also believe that politicians should vote the way that thier constituents want in debates and not as the party says, they are there as our representatives, not to further thier own careers by keeping the top brass happy, we are in essence thier bosses.

2:19 PM  
Blogger phil said...

how do you think friends and family of the victims feel when someone who has killed thier loved one is let out of prison after a few years, we need to stop been soft in this country and that is exactly the attitude we need to rid ourselfs of.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Mark T said...

I am in favour of a death penalty if the evidence is over whelming. Where it isn't, life should mean life (not 5 or 6 years like it seems to mean this week) However, I feel that if we did have the death penalty, rags like 'Your Super Soar-Away Sun' would appoint themselves Judge, Jury and Executioner, and incite a lynch mob mentality

8:00 AM  
Blogger airliebird58 said...

I'm not in favour of the death penalty, let em rot in jail. Mind you, my mind may be changed if something happened to one of mine God forbid.
About Zachawy or whatever he's called. I wonder if he's really dead, he was supposed to be dead about 5 yrs ago, then he wasnt but had a false leg.
Now they identifed his body initially, facially and by scars. I'd have thought the false leg would have been a clincher myself.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home