Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Continuing on from below...

Far be it from me never to be Victor Meldrew but here's a few more gripes and then I shall hush.

Keeping with food, I come to the latest virus which has pervaded restaraunteurs throughout the country - and beyond I shouldn't wonder. Think back to a byegone age. You sit down for your meal, the waiter takes your order - then serves your food and the next you see of him is when he quietly takes away your plate.

But now. Can you remember the last time this happened? Now, just after you get started, it's time for the "is everything all right" call. This makes me nervous. As a rule, I reply with, "Why, what have you done to it?" but they persist. However, there is one benefit to this - probably American pastime - I just love listening to Mrs Evo gripe about the veg not cooked properly or it being too spicy or the meat not being hot enough or something and then young garcon stepping forward with his question and she smiles sweetly and says, "Oh yes, everythings fine". That is always a pleasure.

Flowers - Why can you not just buy a bunch of flowers. (I realise that this might just refer to me, but I will persist). I have no idea what the different flowers are called. If I had learned the names for flowers, I'm sure that by now they would have been superceded by different - more flowery names anyway - just like the colours. I just want to buy a bunch of flowers - if I had an interest in what flowers where which, chances are, someone would be buying them for me, not the other way around. Normally I reply to the question with, "Like daisies and buttercups but a bit bigger? No, on second thoughts, would you decide."

Oh and fashion, don't get me started on fashion. Just don't. Except you might like to hear this story which made me smile. After a brief encounter with the young new boyfriend of one of my yoof, she told me later that she had worked out that it was me he had been talking to by asking just a couple of questions. Firstly, "Was he tall". I am by no means tall, but nevertheless he replied with a yes. Second - and the one which apparently nailed it for her - "Does he tuck his T-shirt into his trousers?" I mean, doesn't everyone?

I could go on. But I'm burning myself out. Is anyone with me?

6 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

I'm trying to buy only British flowers as airfreighting flowers across continents could well mean the end of all flowers. If you don't mind airfreighted flowers Fairtrade roses seem the best bet, IMO. At least there is a limit on the damage they do.

As for tucking shirts in, hubby suffers something dreadful from the kids on that score. Still, fashions change.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Mark T said...

They ask if everything is ok with your food just in case you decide to complain at the end of the meal. They have then got the defence that you said it was ok when they asked you. They always seem to pick the moment I have a mouthful when they ask me :-)

7:43 PM  
Blogger phil said...

i am gonna hate myself for this because im still convinced you are a sandwich short of a picnic but i agree with everything you say here, as for the flowers just do a little britain and say"want tnat one" after all they will only be for mrs evo and if she is like my wife she will be that suprised and delighted you have bought some they could be wrapped in a copy of HDM wouldnt matter in the least.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

Precisely Phil!

And as for sandwiches, don't get me started on sandwiches!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Evo1 said...

Oh and Karin, do give your hubby my support - I have heard that tucking in T-shirts is coming back in shortly :o)

11:12 AM  
Blogger phil said...

i wish my t shirt would stretch far enough to tuck in!!!!

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home